Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Heat Lingers

Two sections of Las Cruces, New Mexico
I did a long hike on the west side of Tortugas Mountain this morning, and it was hot out there; felt a bit humid, too.  We're headed for 96F again today, and I really am fed up with these high temperatures, which are well above normal.  I keep hoping the weather will break soon.

It was relatively uncrowded when I began my trek, and there weren't that many people in the Sunset Area parking lot when I finished up.  I did run into my pal Jimmy, who was just starting his hike.  He and I talked for what seemed like a good half hour before going our separate ways.

After I returned home and showered I went shopping at both Target and Albertsons.  When I finished putting the groceries away I had to call an exterminator in Alamogordo because I think we have a rodent problem at the cabin; Dr. K and I heard scratching in the crawl space for the second time in a few months.  The soonest the guy (Howard) will be able to get up to High Rolls is December 9th.  I'll have to drive up to meet him there.  
Odd to find this tribute to the writer Lee K. Abbott

Brown section at center:  the Rio Grande

Odd-colored Prickly Pear fruit

Trail through the gully

Snake print

Flank of Tortugas and the Organs

Tall, young Ocotillo

Long road to the low desert

Upper foothills trail

Road west

Red-tailed Hawk

Dragonfly with two yellow dots

Tortugas Mountain and the Organs

A flycatcher

Desert Cottontail

Same Red-tailed Hawk

Variegated Fritillary

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Beautiful photos today, Packrat. The photo of the snake print made me shudder just thinking of a snake slithering through the dirt.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...