Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, October 1, 2012

Close Equiners of the Third Kind

Starting off at the Grand View Trail
We had the darnedest encounter on the Grand View Trail this morning--four horses who were exceedingly curious about us.  About Becca, really.  When we first passed them they were down off the trail browsing.  On our way back, though, they'd made it up to the trail and were headed our way.  They were gentle, and curious about us.  The brown one walked right up to me.  But because Becca was with us I didn't want to take a chance that she might get kicked.  So we decided to bushwhack off trail to put some distance between us.  Unfortunately, we were in a narrow section of trail right beside a steep slope.  The equines weren't inclined to give us a break, and they hung around while we struggled up the slope.  Finally, though, they moved on, and we were able to get back onto the trail.  I've had some experience with horses, but not a lot; I'd never seen equines as curious as these four.  We had a really good laugh about the whole encounter.
The ramada (shelter)

We three

Horses foraging in the high desert

Peekaboo


Four equines busy browsing

They're up on the trail now

Horse's ass from a few feet away

About to mosey along

Turning back out of curiosity


The source of equine curiosity


3 comments:

Dr. K said...

Becca was as curious about those horses as they were of us.

Anonymous said...

I guess now you can officially say that "I've been through the desert with a horse with no name..." (Eagles):)

p.s. My captcha for this was 8 ist Lord...interesting.

Anonymous said...

One day it hit me out of the blue that I attributed the wrong group to that song...make that "America":)

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...