Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Out in the Outback

Deep arroyo in the mountain foothills
We took an extra long hike into the outback this morning, and we only ran into one jogger with his dog--both friendly types.  The weather was pretty dynamic, oscillating between sun and clouds.  At times it looked like rain--and we saw a rainbow caused by virga (rain that evaporates before reaching the ground)--but we didn't get any precipitation until we'd been home a few hours.  The humidity is up, and there seems to be a slight chance of more of the wet stuff.
An expanse of Chihuahuan Desert

Confrontation with a fly

The mountains near Las Cruces

Trusty scout

Rainbow, no rain


Prairie Clover


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Somewhere, over the rainbow...pretty.

Didn't know you could have one without rain.

p.s. I commented on your horse encounter post today, but since it is an older post, didn't know if you saw it.:)

Scott said...

Packrat: I like the image of Becca in the desert marigolds, and the image of prairie clover.

I'd mentioned to you that I have a graduate student from Las Cruces. She and I had a long talk after class today. I'd mentioned that I follow a blog written by a man who walks his dog at Tortugas Mountain every day, and she exclaimed, "My aunt walks her dogs at Tortugas pretty frequently! Maybe they see one another!" My student said that her aunt walks a black, medium-build dog with longish, shaggy fur and a white spaniel. Both are mixed-breed dogs. Do you ever see such a threesome?

Dr. K said...

Beautiful prairie clovers.

packrat said...

Thanks, Ruby. I hadn't noticed your comment on the horse-encounter post. Very much appreciate your observations.

packrat said...

Scott:

The aunt and her two dogs don't ring a bell, but I may have seen them. I'll keep my eyes peeled. The problem is that the Tortugas Mountain Trails system is filled with quite a few options for hikers, bikers, joggers and doggers.

Anonymous said...

I see a lot of faces and other cool images in the clouds of your "Miracle Sky" photo. The biggest image looks like a boy with 2 eyess and a wide open mouth with two dark arms/hands held out to each side.

Are you aware of google+'s streaming posts? Yesterday was "Thirsty Thursday" (post anything pic to do with above)and they also had one thread on "Wednesday Wildlife" or something like that. It's good exposure for your photography and may gain some interest in your work....p.s. I recently had an equine encounter as well...check out my blog if you want to see some gorgeous horses:)

Anonymous said...

Please pardon my error - I was referring to the "What a sky!" pic when describing seeing images in clouds.

Hump Day Hawk

Tortugas and the Organs We got a fairly early start this morning so it wasn't hot at all:  62F.  The cloud cover helped the temperature ...