Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Raccoon Creek State Park

Last Friday my brother and I had a whole day to kill in the Pittsburgh area, and fortunately we stumbled upon Raccoon Creek State Park, a park neither of us had heard of before.  Boy were we glad we found it.  A 7,572-acre park that started as a Recreational Demonstration Area operated by the National Park Service in the 1930s and improved upon by the Civilian Conservation Corps, the park's gem is the 101-acre Raccoon Lake, featured here in these images.





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

These pics were beautiful. I was concerned regarding your absence, and glad to know you are alright. Your blog about your mother was touching.

Ruby

Dr. K said...

I hope this park was not damaged by the storm.

packrat said...

Much appreciated, Ruby.

packrat said...

I had the very same thought, Dr. K.

Scott said...

Nice images of Raccoon Creek, Packrat. I occasionally used to take students to the park to do ecological studies when I was a graduate student at the University of Pittsburgh. I believe that portions of the park are located on old coal surface mines--in fact, I think the lake is mostly on old mined land.

packrat said...

You're right about the mines, Scott. A waiter at a restaurant told us that the lake has been drained a few times because of contamination from the mines, but we weren't sure how accurate that was because fishing is permitted in the lake.

The Low High Country

Morning sky Dr. K, Willow and I did our regular hike this morning, headed back home and finished packing for our trip to the high country, w...