Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Back in the Desert Again

An almost-immediate shade break
(Sung to the tune of Gene Autry's "Back in the Saddle Again.")

You know it's going to be a hot day in the Chihuahuan Desert when you start sweating just after starting your hike.  Another sign is when your high-stamina dog takes a shade break less than a quarter-mile in.  Besides Mr. Tacoma--who was hiking to the top of the mountain--we saw a woman jogging.  She was taking frequent breaks to drink much-needed water.  We're heading for 98 F. today.

Mr. Tacoma crossing the desert

Ocotillos are still leafless because of the drought

Hot and dry in the lower desert

4 comments:

Scott said...

I think Kali and I may have made the right choice to head for the Colorado mountains (or at least the foothills) when we retire.

Dr. K said...

You won't be running into too many people in this heat.

JACQUELINE said...

I hope you get some rain. Becca is so well behaved! My Ollie would just take off - he'd probably check in with me
in a day or two. Love your photos. The Organ Mountains are awesome.

packrat said...

Thanks, Jacqui! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your interest.

Low Country and then High

This & next:  Pyrrhuloxia (aka Desert Cardinal) Willow and I did our regular hike this morning, returning afterward to finish packing fo...