Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, October 13, 2014

Time Flies

Largest Walking Stick I've seen:  4" from tip to tip
"Time flies.  You cannot because they move too fast."  A joke from one of my old linguistics professors who was pointing out the ambiguities of language.  I bring up "flies" today because they were out in force again, and they pestered poor Becca for our entire hike.  At one point, when we moved off the trail to allow to women to pass, they laughed at how serious Becca was in her attempt to catch flies.  When I said to the women, "She hates flies," one of the hikers said, "I guess so."  Poor Becca.  Well, soon it'll be too cold for the obnoxious pests.
What has Becca spotted?  (Red dot upper right)

She sees a mountain biker out for a morning ride

Looking for other interesting subjects (or flies to catch)

4 comments:

Dr. K said...

I like to see the face that Becca makes when she catches a fly in her mouth and realizes how gross it is.

Scott said...

It's great to read your blog, Packrat, because you highlight things about the desert that I would never have guessed--like pestiferous flies. And, twice a year, no less.

packrat said...

Dr. K: I hope I never have to eat a fly. From that look on Becca's face it's clear they're not very tasty. And this from a dog who'll eat almost anything.

packrat said...

Thanks, Scott. We've had a bad spring/summer/fall so far with the flies. Not sure what climatological/biological/agricultural phenomena are responsible, but they sure have been a nuisance; worse than I can remember anytime here.

Friday Free-For-All

Soaptree Yucca at the side of LDR-A We got an early start this morning, but not as early as the Basset people and their hounds who we spotte...