Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, October 6, 2014

Who's a Toady?

Something's in the air
We encountered the toad pictured below in a large arroyo west of Tortugas Mountain.  Becca walked right past it without taking notice, but I spotted it right away.  I believe it was basking in the sun after a cool night.  Mr. Toad didn't move while I photographed him.  I believe it's a Couch's Spadefoot because it was quite large, at least twice as big as the Western Spadefoots (Spadefeet?) I've seen in the past.
A perfect morning

On the outer loop road

Vista without the dirt road

Beautiful butterfly

I believe this is a Couch's Spadefoot Toad

This beauty was much larger (3.5") than a Western Spadefoot (1 1/2" to 2")

Ocotillos are fading to yellow-green

Clouds above Tortugas

3 comments:

Dr. K said...

That looks like a very well fed toad.

Scott said...

Our cats pretty much ignored toads, too. I don't mean that they didn't play with them, they just didn't even seem to see them in the first place.

packrat said...

Well, this toad pretty much blended into the environment pretty well, Scott, but Becca was on to some other scent and just headed right past the little amphibian.

Grand Old Grand View Trail

Early morning moon Willow got an early morning surprise today; when we came back down the drive after her constitutional we stopped at the p...