Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Invasion of the Killer Moths

Beep beep
Perhaps I exaggerated a bit when I wrote "killer," but the invasion part is no joke.  Never in our twenty-five years living in the Chihuahuan Desert have we seen as many moths swarming as we have recently.  (No images of moths on this blog post; these are photos of my hike with Becca this morning.)  But the moths are so numerous here--perhaps from a mild winter--that it was impossible to get inside the house without letting several in.  I even had two moths in my car this morning. 
What are you looking at?

I'm outta here

Prickly Pear Cactus flower opening up

A look at the pollen inside

Acrobat

Really getting into the job

A male Scott's Oriole

Castor and Pollux

Almost on the road again

Growing several inches every day

Soaptree Yucca with a three-foot flower stalk

Bifurcated Ocotillo blossom

Up a rocky slope

Desert bouquet


2 comments:

Dr. K said...

I love all these flower photos. Wish I could have been there with you and Becca.

packrat said...

Of course we wish the same, Dr. K.

Hump Day Hawk

Tortugas and the Organs We got a fairly early start this morning so it wasn't hot at all:  62F.  The cloud cover helped the temperature ...