Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, May 9, 2016

A Little First Aid

Plumed Crinklemat
About halfway through our trek this morning I noticed a small Soaptree Yucca whose head and flower stalk had been partially snapped by powerful wind so that the stalk was parallel to the ground.  I'm not sure why I felt compelled to try repairing the plant, but I did.  First I propped the head and flower stalk upright with several dead stalks, then I used adhesive tape to secure the growing stalk to a strong dead one growing out of the trunk.  I'm not sure how long it will hold up in the howling winds we've been having, but I felt good about the first aid I'd administered to the yucca plant.  All during my repair Becca lay in the shade of a bush watching me as if I was crazy.
Down to the low desert

Coyote scat

Soaptree Yucca (Bishop Cap in background)

Soaptree Yucca flowers and the Organ Mountains

Flower of the Stingleaf (Cevallia sinuata)

Two roads diverged . . .

How to cross the Chihuahuan Desert

West of the Organ Mountains

Best in show

Making  your tail into a reverse question mark

Poor man's Georgia O'Keeffe

The Soaptree Yucca I repaired

Almost a flower

Just west of Tortugas Mountain

Potential

Snake!  (OK, a small one)

Big Bend Patchnose Snake

Handsome critter

Night-blooming Cereus getting ready to blossom

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I hope that yucca stalk survives. I think this is the first snake sighting of the season; I'm sure there will be many more.

Grand Old Grand View Trail

Early morning moon Willow got an early morning surprise today; when we came back down the drive after her constitutional we stopped at the p...