Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Night-Blooming Cereus

Queen of the Night (aka Night-Blooming Cereus)
In the countless years I have been wandering the deserts of the American Southwest I have only twice had the opportunity to see a Night-Blooming Cereus in full bloom--last year and this year--and both times it was the same plant.  When I first saw the blossom last year in the month of May I thought initially that somebody had stuck an artificial flower into the ground; but on closer inspection I discovered it was a real plant, which I photographed both at the start and end of our hike.  So overwhelmed by what I had beheld I placed a small, inconspicuous rock cairn in the desert at the side of the trail so I would remember exactly where the cactus was.

I marked it because the actual plant itself looks like a withered stick which is completely unobtrusive without its floral adornment.  For an entire year afterward, whenever I'd pass the spot, I would look over and make a point of spotting the plant.  A few weeks ago I noticed that it had sprouted a single bud on a small arm that was growing noticeably.  So for approximately fourteen days Becca and I traced the same route past the plant in hopes of seeing it blossom again.  We were not disappointed (at least I wasn't; Becca doesn't seem to care much for blooming plants).  There, in all its regal majesty, was the Queen of the Night, the Night-Blooming Cereus, which flowers after dark only once a year.  The white blossom is pollinated by moths.

By the time Becca and I had returned from our trek today the Night-Blooming Cereus had nearly closed up shop for the year.  The thing that most amazes me about this cactus is that it's such a homely-looking stick for 364 days of the year, and then, for one glorious night it produces what might be considered the most beautiful desert flower.






Queen of the Day

Mountains afloat on a sea of desert

Female Gambel's Quail

Marilyn?

On the edge of a gully

Rock

Interesting sky above the Organs

Going to bloom soon

Yuccas and Bishop Cap

Wide wash (aka "arroyo")

Tortugas and the Organ Mountains

You can see by the greenery where the arroyo runs

By the end of our hike the Night-Blooming Cereus was closing for the year

Desert Cottontail on our property

House Finch munching on a Desert Willow bud

2 comments:

Dr. K said...

The night-blooming cereus is such an amazing flower. It sounds like something out of a fairy tale. Great photos, Packrat.

packrat said...

Thanks, Dr. K. :)

Friday Free-For-All

Soaptree Yucca at the side of LDR-A We got an early start this morning, but not as early as the Basset people and their hounds who we spotte...