Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Back to the Sunset Side

Cactus Wren on a nearly leafless Ocotillo branch
I hated trudging up Geothermal Road so much yesterday I decided to return to the west side of Tortugas Mountain and deal with the hassle of ongoing construction at the entrance to the Sunset Area parking facilities.  It wasn't too bad over there today.

I ran into Tracey and her dog George early on during my trek and got to pet that wonderful canine.  Two different dog fixes in two days--can't beat that.

Although I saw a few other outdoor enthusiasts on and about the mountain I didn't encounter any of them.  Haven't seen my buddy Jimmy in a while because he spent the past week in Ruidoso; perhaps I'll bump into him tomorrow morning before Dr. K and I head up to the Sacramento Mountains.
East toward Tortugas

Road west

Looking back toward Tortugas and the Organs

Rolling desert

Yucca west of the mountain

Rugged desert

Small arroyo further west of the mountain

Stadium lights at New Mexico State University

Yucca cowlick

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Great photo of the cactus wren--I can clearly see its beautiful markings.

Hump Day Hawk

Tortugas and the Organs We got a fairly early start this morning so it wasn't hot at all:  62F.  The cloud cover helped the temperature ...