Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, October 10, 2019

Desert Hills

This and the next:  Soaptree Yuccas
Got a fairly early start on a hike west of Tortugas, and I pretty much stayed on the trails and dirt roads throughout, though I did do a minor bushwhack into the hills far west of the mountain.  Along the way I ran into Don and his dog, Clover, and he and I stood talking for ten minutes or so.

It was 55F when I started out this morning, and despite the bright sun in a cloudless sky it didn't warm up too quickly out there today.  I believe a cold front with strong winds is expected to blow through here tonight, dropping temperatures drastically; I think we're going to be in the low 40s by Friday night.

On the trail that crosses between two dirt roads

Approaching an arroyo west of the mountain

This and the next:  female House Finch


Desert Marigolds

Climbing into the hills northwest of the mountains

This and the next:  Ocotillos that have lost their leaves


This and the next 2:  never got a good shot of this Ladder-backed Woodpecker



Looking west at Soaptree Yuccas lining the desert

Back near the mountain

Road heading northwest

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

The third shot of the Ladder-Back Woodpecker is pretty clear. They are such beautiful birds.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...