Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, August 14, 2015

An Interesting Encounter

Ooops--wrong way
We started hiking the Rim Trail (T-105) from parking area #3 a few miles outside of Cloudcroft, New Mexico, and about a mile into our trek we encountered an Asian woman hiking alone.  She wore a long-sleeve shirt and long pants, a greenish-blue hat, and she was carrying a sizable pack (camouflage in color) on her left shoulder.  I made Becca get off the narrow trail to our right, and Dr. K and I stood in tall grass alongside the trail to let the woman pass.  She didn't notice us right away, but when she did she bowed in greeting.  Dr. K and I bowed in return.  The woman's smile lit up her face.  When she saw Becca she bowed to her, too, and spoke words we didn't understand.  I had the feeling her command of English was extremely limited.  We all bowed again before going our separate ways.  Dr. K and I wondered if the woman was backpacking; her pack seemed way too large for a simple daypack.
We had to get around ten or more mud puddles

Becca loves to hike in the forest

Through a stand of old Aspens

A very narrow trail

Waiting patiently

Nodding Onion

Looking at White Sands from 9,000 feet up

Whenever I see Indian Paintbrush I have to photograph it

Large, light-brown fungus

Young Aspens

Umbrella-like mushroom (Destroying Angel?)

I like the play of color and light

Skyrocket

Skyrocket Gilia just blooming

Heavily-wooded section of the Rim Trail

Asters
Leading the way

Looking for bear

Cutleaf Coneflowers

Aster risk

More Coneflowers

Mullein

Just getting started blooming

A type of Bee-fly that loves Mullein

A beautiful creature

Spiky hairs on body

Orangish-brown color

Leafybract Aster?

Burro Street, Cloudcroft, New Mexico

Dr. K tames a large black bear

Black bear (Champ, the dog) sneezes on Dr. K

2 comments:

Dr. K said...

It's neat that you were able to get such close-up photos of that reddish bee. I'm glad it didn't seem to mind.

Scott said...

I love the fuzzy abdomen of the bee-fly! Aster risk...I get it!

Low Country and then High

This & next:  Pyrrhuloxia (aka Desert Cardinal) Willow and I did our regular hike this morning, returning afterward to finish packing fo...