Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, August 17, 2015

Equestrian Encounter

Moseying up the trail west of Tortugas
Becca and I encountered a man and young woman riding horses west of Tortugas Mountain this morning.  As they approached I asked if they minded me taking a photo of them; the man said it was fine.  When they came abreast of us I asked if they were from the area.  The man said, "We live just south of Albuquerque, but she's starting school down here.  So we're out for a trail ride before we have to head back up."  We chatted briefly before parting company.  They were very pleasant people on beautiful horses.  And Becca was incredibly well behaved in the presence of those huge animals.
Heavy clouds

Ring of Barrel Cactus flower buds

Arroyo wet from last night's rain

Inchoate sign of fall

Good overcast

Virga (rain that evaporates before reaching the ground)

First sign of fall:  yellowing Ocotillo leaves

Tortugas (left) and the Organs

Becca spotted equestrians in the distance

Dove Tree bearing fruit

Trail riders

Steep western slope of the Tortoise

Twining Milkweed at our house

3 comments:

Dr. K said...

Riding horses on a mild summer morning in the desert--a very pleasant thing to do.

Scott said...

The twining milkweed is very attractive. I can see why you have it at your house.

packrat said...

The milkweed is a volunteer, Scott, and if we had a vegetable garden I'd probably try to get rid of it. I've read it's very bad for crops. But it is a great magnet for Monarch butterflies so I've only cut back on it in specific places. It seems especially fond of climbing up Creosote bushes.

The Low High Country

Morning sky Dr. K, Willow and I did our regular hike this morning, headed back home and finished packing for our trip to the high country, w...