Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, August 28, 2015

Somebody's Watching Us

Deep shadows on Tortugas's west side
The weather was pleasant for a moderately-long hike this morning.  Although it felt somewhat humid there was a nice breeze to provide evaporative cooling.  We crossed paths with a Roadrunner who was out on a breakfast hunt.  He must have been eyeing something nearby because he didn't scurry off when we approached.  On the Crosscut Trail I got the feeling that we were being watched, and when I turned I saw a full-grown Coyote (Canis latrans), monitoring our movement.  He took off just as soon as I took my first photo of him.  Being the dog lover I am I could tell he wasn't very worried about us--just curious.
Walking along the ridge

Yucca shadow with my arms (got a Mickey Mouse image going there)

Becca in said shadow

Sun highlighting Ocotillos

Light pouring over the mountain

Rugged western slope of the Tortoise

Roadrunner knows we're here

Angling for a better look

Getting an eyeful

Bird in a bush

Coming out for closer inspection

Swiping beak on rock

It's what Roadrunners do (check out those feet)

Dang!  I miss that bird already

I felt this Coyote's gaze before I turned to see him

He didn't stay for long

We've seen quite a few riders this summer 

Heading over the hill

Waiting in the shade

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

You've encountered a couple of roadrunners lately that haven't seemed afraid of you. Nice photos!

Decent Little Bushwhack

1st 4:  Claret Cups Even though the Swainson's Hawk wasn't perched atop the Torrey Yucca on the crest of 4210 hill we decided to bus...