Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Hike from Hell

Cross in the desert just east of Tortugas Mountain
I mentioned yesterday that I was feeling under the weather; I went to bed (after taking NyQuil) hoping I'd feel better this morning.  Not to be.  Normally, feeling this crappy, I'd let Dr. K take Becca on her morning hike, but Dr. K had an appointment to have her teeth cleaned at 8:30.  We intended to do a trek on the west side of Tortugas, but there was some big event going on there; I'd never seen so many cars in the parking lot and lined up on either side of the road leading in.  So we were forced to the far side (the sunny side) of the mountain.  During our brief hike I had to pull no fewer than ten Catclaw thorns out of B-girl's paws.  I've never had to remove so many on so short a trek.  Although there was a bit of a breeze it still felt hot as Hades out there, which only added to my misery.  The one upside to our outdoor adventure was bumping into our buddy Jimmy near the Monte Vista parking area, and he and I chatted for a few minutes, though I was fading rapidly toward the end.  To put icing on the cake, right before we left to drive home I somehow managed to bang by left shoulder on the opened driver-side door, causing me to suffer 30 seconds of fairly intense pain.  Just another hike from hell in the desert.
Looking for a business place

Memorial to a young man who died in the desert he loved

The family keeps the area leading to the memorial well maintained

Deep arroyo with the Organ Mountains behind

Doña Ana Mountains

Headed back to Tortugas

House- and garage-sized boulders on the eastern flank

2 comments:

Dr. K said...

No matter how sick you are, you always give Becca a hike in the morning.

packrat said...

You may be doing it tomorrow, Dr. K. :)

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...