Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, July 8, 2016

Early Surprise

Very early start
Yesterday I noted that my favorite Nipple Beehive Cactus had flower buds for the second time this season.  I made a point early this morning of heading past that cactus to monitor its progress, but never did I imagine the flowers would be blooming already; I was thinking several days at the earliest.  After a long hike Becca and I returned to the cactus to see if the blossoms had opened even further, but if they had it wasn't by a noticeable degree.
Ms. Becca, the happy hiker

We ran into the same two mountain bikers two different times

Nipple Beehive Cactus blooming

Not fully opened

Interesting form

In the center of this shot a Lesser Nighthawk

Chihuahuan Desert flora and the Organ Mountains

Becca in the shade of her favorite Ocotillo

Dirt road to the north

Odd cloud

Had to go back to see if the flowers had opened any further

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

What an interesting blossom on the nipple beehive cactus--very pretty pink color.

Hump Day Hawk

Tortugas and the Organs We got a fairly early start this morning so it wasn't hot at all:  62F.  The cloud cover helped the temperature ...