Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

How Tall is an Ocotillo?

An early start keeps us in shadow for over a mile
Becca and I did a fairly-long hike west of Tortugas Mountain this morning, and we lucked out with the weather.  Although it was quite warm and humid, clouds blocked the full force of the sun for most of our trek.  The wind showed up for the last mile-and-a-half of our journey, making conditions even better.  There were a good number of outdoor enthusiasts around the mountain, and Becca and I encountered a few:  two mountain bikers and a runner.  But for the most part--especially when we were in the outback--we saw no one.
Prickly Pears ripening

Some Native Americans make jelly from Prickly Pear fruit

Coming out of a gully

A level stretch before a climb

Up on a plateau

40 miles south:  Franklin Mountains near El Paso, Texas

Down the single-track

Desert, mountain, sky

Hide-and-seek

Large Devil's Head (aka "horse crippler")

Just missed the bloom

Bishop Cap on the horizon

Bent Buggy Whip wands

Prickly Pear loaded with fruit

Bishop Cap again

Interesting clouds

Organ Mountains

Becca and I take a break

Zooming in on the Organs

Headed through an Ocotillo forest

There's a dog in this photo

This one, too

White-winged Dove on a Torrey Yucca

Cloud glyphs

Waiting while I explore the terrain

This is how tall some Ocotillos are (I'm 5' 11")

Sinuous shape of the Tortoise

About a half mile from our car on the way back

2 comments:

Scott said...

Re: Becca and I take a break: "Oh, no! I'm melting! What a world! What a world!"

Dr. K said...

I can see why fences were often made out of ocotillo branches, though it must have been hard to avoid the thorns.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...