Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, January 26, 2017

A-Birding We Will Go

Ladderback Woodpecker (careful not to poke an eye out)
When I say "A-Birding We Will Go," it was actually just me this morning.  Becca was limping again, and I thought it best to leave her at home with Dr. K.  I'll monitor her closely to determine when she gets on the hiking roster.  I ran across an American Kestrel in the outback while bushwhacking, and I must have (literally) taken 30 photos of it.  Everytime I tried to carefully approach him he'd fly to a different perch.  I did manage, through patience, to angle fairly close, but I still took all shots of him at 65X telephoto zoom.  Some of the images came out okay.  
This and the next three:  arroyos west of Tortugas Mountain




Soaptree Yuccas in an arroyo flood plain

Long haul across the desert

Starting to climb some hills northwest of the Organ Mountains


Some homes in the village of Talavera are visible

Barrel Cactus growing in the hills west of Tortugas

Crazy Ocotillos

Barrel Cactus, yucca and mountains

Barrel Cacti and Prickly Pear

American Kestrel (North America's smallest falcon)

I must have taken 30 photos of this bird (10 appear here.  Apologies)






Add caption


I took these pics with the Canon PowerShot at 65X.

Torrey Yucca jungle

More Torrey Yuccas

Devil's Claw

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Beautiful photos of the kestral, Packrat. It might be my imagination, but I feel that you captured his or her personality.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...