Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, November 9, 2012

Cold in the Mountains

I'm not positive, but I think this is a Hairy Woodpecker
It's been pretty chilly ever since we got to High Rolls at noon, and the sky is threatening now.  If it gets cold enough we'll probably see snow flurries.  The woodpecker in the images is, I think, a Hairy Woodpecker.  There are, also, Acorn Woodpeckers and Downy Woodpeckers in this region, but when I listened to the Cornell University website audio it sounded identical to the call coming from this beautiful specimen.  I wish my photos of it were a bit clearer, but the birds (there were two) flitted around like they'd had too many cups of coffee at breakfast.
Hairy Woodpecker in a dead Pinyon Pine tree

Not sure about the plant, but I recognize the dog

A stiff wind will soon carry these seeds away

November autumn in the Sacramento Mountains

Perched on the mountainsides

At home in the mountains

Becca and Dr. K

2 comments:

Scott said...

The seed heads look like they might be agrimony, but don't hold me to that.

Dr. K said...

It's great to up here in the mountains.

Grand Old Grand View Trail

Early morning moon Willow got an early morning surprise today; when we came back down the drive after her constitutional we stopped at the p...