Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Intimate with the Universe

Trudging along the western foothills
I don't know what it is about exploring arroyos that makes me feel more in tune with nature.  Perhaps it has something to do with getting a first-hand look at the day-to-day workings of the universe apart from human activity, to know that life here has a meaning distinct from that which is ascribed to it by the ratiocination of Homo sapiens sapiens. 
A Roadrunner hunting for insects

Out of the foothills to the lower desert

Into a wide arroyo

Soaptree Yuccas flourishing in the arroyo bottom

Rodent footprints (like a bicycle tire track)

Bird tracks


Deer tracks

A female Pyrrhuloxia (desert Cardinal)

3 comments:

Dr. K said...

Beautiful photo of the roadrunner.

Scott said...

I never tire of seeing Roadrunners, Packrat, probably because they're so iconic of the West, because I just don't see them all that often, and because they're so "cool." The last one I saw was (incongruously, in my opinion) perched on rocky rubble revetment that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers had placed alongside the San Luis Rey River in northern San Diego County, California. You got a good image; thanks for sharing.

I liked the images of the variety of tracks in the sandy arroyo, too. A really good post.

packrat said...

Thanks, Dr. K.

Scott: Thank you. Have you ever heard the trilling/clucking sound the Roadrunner makes? It's such a peculiar sound that everytime I hear one making it in our backyard it takes me a moment to remember which critter is responsible.

Before the Winds Came

Ocotillo blossoms We got a fairly early start this morning, saw the Basset people and their hounds while we descended LDR-A arroyo, saw a hu...