Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Blah

Almost to the top
Both Becca and I trudged lethargically along the trail during our long hike this morning.  It may have had something to do with the weather:  high humidity, heavy overcast, little wind.  She didn't really perk up until we were just starting down the trail from the high foothills.  I turned to see her looking up at the road, and when I turned to see what she was staring at I saw the silhouette of a coyote standing as still as a statue while watching us.  When I started to get my camera out the coyote moved, and I realized it wasn't a coyote at all, but a dog called Pepper--an Australian Blue Heeler who's a buddy of Becca's.  Pepper belongs to a woman who's a softball coach at the nearby high school.  We met them both about two months ago.  We weren't close enough to interact, and after a cursory wave waving at one another we went our separate ways.  And Becca and I returned to our lethargy.
Cactus Wren




Sun threatening to break though (it never did)

Tortugas and the Organs

Hedgehog Cactus and Soaptree Yucca

Same as above

Heading down a large arroyo

Becca enjoys the sandy arroyo bottoms


Prickly Pear Cactus with pads as large as dinner plates

Poking around the arroyo (aka "wash")

Water "washes" down here during heavy rains

Emerging from the arroyo


Where the arroyo runs through the lowlands


3 comments:

Scott said...

One of my board members commented last Friday that "he's absolutely no good for anything" if the temperature is above 80. I certainly can agree with him. Warmth and humidity really sap me, so I can understand your lethargy.

It's finally raining here. It started about 2 a.m. this morning and by the time the sun came up a cup outside held about 1/4-inch or water. It has been raining more heavily since then. We're under a flash flood warning that I hope doesn't materialize in my creek. Nevertheless, we need the rain desperately.

By the way, I got notice from Amazon that they weren't going to e-publish your book. :-(

Dr. K said...

I think Becca can't wait for cooler weather.

packrat said...

It's the humidity that really gets to me, Scott. Sometimes I marvel at having been able to handle it at all growing up in northeast Ohio.

Yeah, they didn't want my book, but I'm not really disappointed. I'm rather accustomed to rejection now. But many thanks for supporting me; I genuinely appreciate it.:)

Grand Old Grand View Trail

Early morning moon Willow got an early morning surprise today; when we came back down the drive after her constitutional we stopped at the p...