Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, February 8, 2016

Quite a Tumble

Prickly Pear Cactus in the foothills
As Becca and I were hiking back toward the trailhead, about a quarter mile away from the car, I tripped and fell forward.  Even though I got my hands out in front of me and managed to twist slightly left to take the brunt of the impact on my right side I thudded into the sandy soil quite hard, cutting my right hand and my right knee.  Of course the first thing I did when I got up was to look around to see if anyone had seen my pratfall.  I saw a couple of Jackrabbits holding their paws over their mouths to keep from laughing aloud.  Seriously, though, as I stood, rounded up my water bottles, which had slipped out of my daypack, I noticed Becca looking at me with a curious expression on her face that said, "What was that all about?"  Now, several hours after the hike, the heels of my hands are sore, as are my wrists.  I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what else aches.
Heading ever higher

Leveling off on the mountain flank

Greater Roadrunner



Roadrunner disappeared into this deep gully

Mix of clouds and contrails

Heading back up the mountain on a single-track

3 comments:

Dr. K said...

Great photos of the roadrunner--it must have been pretty close to you. Was that before or after your tumble?

Scott said...

I like to hike in my preserve after dark, and usually nothing happens. But one night--years ago--I tripped over a rock as I was walking uphill and really twisted one of my little fingers--twisted so much that it was obviously out of joint. When I got back, I massaged the digit until it got back into line, but boy was it sore for a long while. That put a real kibosh in my night hiking.

packrat said...

It was before the tumble, Dr. K.

Hump Day Hawk

Tortugas and the Organs We got a fairly early start this morning so it wasn't hot at all:  62F.  The cloud cover helped the temperature ...