Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, January 17, 2020

A Bit of Fog

Sky at start
It was a bit colder this morning, in part because I got a much earlier start.  But things warmed up rapidly due to early sunshine, which wasn't predicted to make an appearance until hours later.  I did appreciate the sun, though, and was able to remove an article of outerwear about two-thirds of the way through my trek.

There were a few other outdoor enthusiasts on and about the mountain, and I ran into one of them--a lone woman hiker who I see fairly often--way out west on the far outer loop road.  I had just bushwhacked east toward Tortugas when I intersected the road and saw her headed in my direction.

I saw one other guy on the road to the mountaintop while I was heading north alongside the mountain.  Don't think he ever saw me.  When I was on the final leg of the hike I encountered a young guy on an ATV; I stepped out of the way to let him pass, and he waved to me.  I waved back, though I don't appreciate any motorized vehicles in the area.  At least he was driving responsibly.
A little more sun

Probably dog rather than coyote

Another pair of bosom buddies

The Organ Mountains should be out there beyond Tortugas

West of Tortugas

Above the photo horizon you can make out a layer of fog

Beginning to see the Organs

Blanket of clouds over the Organs starting to lift

Aha!

Flank of Tortugas and the Organs

Doing some serious bushwhacking

Way out west

In a major arroyo west of the mountain

Soaptree Yuccas in black-and-white

Barrel Cacti

A deep trench dug by Javelinas

I've run across this survey marker in the past

Artsy Red-tailed Hawk

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Nice photos of the fog; we don't get much of that around here. And that's an impressive javelina hole.

Bad Day All Around

Rest in peace, best male heeler ever.  Our beloved Frio The first thing we did this morning was to take Frio to the vet to put him out of hi...