Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Good-Looking Loggerhead

Barrel Cacti
Took a fairly long hike this morning before running into my friend Jimmy on the flank trail.  He and I talked for a long while before parting ways.

Weather was cold at first, but warmed up quickly as soon as I got into the sunshine, so much so that I removed an item of outerwear midway through the trek.

There was a noticeable absence of people out at Tortugas Mountain this morning, and I'm not sure why, but there were a few enjoying a beautiful late January day in the desert.
Too small for Cactus Wrens (perhaps a Hummer's nest?)

Cactus Wren (left) and a Black-throated Sparrow

Cactus Wren

Soaptree Yucca

Torrey Yucca

This and the next:  I don't think this is a Little-leaf Sumac


This and the rest:  same Loggerhead Shrike




1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I've always admired the markings on Loggerhead Shrikes, especially on their faces. It's really nice to be able to see birds like these in the middle of winter.

Bad Day All Around

Rest in peace, best male heeler ever.  Our beloved Frio The first thing we did this morning was to take Frio to the vet to put him out of hi...