Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, January 4, 2020

Best Laid Plans

A favorite sandy spot
My plan was to do a similar hike to the one I did yesterday, but that went awry as soon as I crossed the trail between the two dirt roads west of Tortugas Mountain and decided to do some bushwhacking.  Once I'm bushwhacking into and through different arroyos I seem to lose all sense of time; and because it was a bright, sunny morning I took plenty of photographs.

It was fairly crowded on and about the mountain, but I didn't see anybody in the outback and only ran into a single woman hiker on my way back in.  I encounter her every once in a while; she hikes alone and likes to get out into the outback away from the crowds.

Drove down to the small post office to mail a bill before I headed home and to see the extent of the construction that will be ongoing for the next 18 months at I-25 and University Avenue.  Once the college and Centennial High School are in session again the traffic congestion on University will be a nightmare.
Coy cottontail

Narrow arroyo west of the mountain

Crossing between two dirt roads

Torrey Yucca, Tortugas (left) and the Organ Mountains

The long view

A closer look

An arroyo runs through it

This and the next 3:  same Ladder-backed Woodpecker




Torrey Yuccas

"There's nothing like a good bad dirt road to screen out the faintly interested"

Loggerhead Shrike

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I like that photo of the Loggerhead Shrike, especially with the bright blue background of the sky.

Bad Day All Around

Rest in peace, best male heeler ever.  Our beloved Frio The first thing we did this morning was to take Frio to the vet to put him out of hi...