Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, January 16, 2020

Cold Front Blows In

The trail down from the upper foothills
The cold front that blew in overnight brought chilling winds and early morning rain; because of the precipitation I didn't leave for my daily trek until about 9:30, several hours later than usual.  And--not realizing how cold the wind was--I under-dressed, though not drastically so.  Nevertheless I felt cold for much of the hike.

The images here tell the tale of the weather conditions, which were gloomy; fortunately, however, I didn't get rained on.  There was only one pickup truck in the Sunset Area parking lot when I arrived this morning, and only about four vehicles when I returned.

When I got back home I happened to look out one of the living room windows that faces the front of our property and saw a pile of dove feathers.  What I didn't notice at first was the murderer, who stood with part of his catch clutched in its talons.  I captured some images of the killer--an immature Cooper's Hawk--who literally stayed for hours eating its prey.
Road around Tortugas Mountain

Bosom buddies (you know what I mean)

Beginning to bushwhack

View from here to the Organ Mountains

This and the next:  flank of Tortugas and the Organ Mountains


Floofed up Cactus Wren

The site of last night's banquet

Egg rock

Another long-distance view of the mountains

This and the next 3:  immature Cooper's Hawk with dove kill




1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Pretty amazing photos of the hawk eating its prey.

Bad Day All Around

Rest in peace, best male heeler ever.  Our beloved Frio The first thing we did this morning was to take Frio to the vet to put him out of hi...