Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Pre-Shop Trek

Looking west from the outer loop road
Not long after I began bushwhacking west off the outer loop road I spotted a raptor over half a mile away, perched on a tall Torrey Yucca.  It stayed there while I hiked (generally) in its direction.  When I came abreast of it--about 200 yards away--I made the decision to try sneaking up on the hawk (whick looked to be a Red-tailed) for a better photo.  As often happens it decided not to let me get too close; so the three images here were the best I got.

Not long after retracing my steps to the ridge I'd been trekking along I spotted another desert denizen, a coy Coyote who was scoping me out.  She was ambling down a hill toward the major arroyo that runs out of Tortugas Mountain's west face, and, for whatever reason, I decided to try following her.  She wasn't moving very quickly, but I knew exactly what would happen:  what happens every time I follow a Trickster.  She led me down into a copious growth of Chihuahuan Desert riparian flora before disappearing completely.  I climbed the hill on the opposite side of the arroyo thinking I might catch a final glimpse of the canid, but no such luck.

There were other outdoor enthusiasts on and about the mountain early this morning; in fact, I bumped into one just after exiting Whitey the CR-V, my buddy Raymond.  He and I trekked partway up the mountain together, palavering all the way.  I hadn't seen him in a long time.  When I mentioned that to him, he said, "Since October."  I had no idea it had been that long.
Spotted this raptor (probably a Red-tailed Hawk) over 1/2 mile away

Desert between here and Tortugas Mountain (Organ Mountains beyond)

I knew this would happen if I tried sneaking up on that hawk

Last I saw of this raptor

Look who I spotted while bushwhacking

She turned tail and slowly walked away

Will he follow me?

That come-hither stare

I'm headed this way

Last I saw of her

Outer loop road heading south

This and the next:  same Torrey Yucca (a big one)


Starting to bushwhack back

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I really the photos of the Trickster, especially the last one where you're looking at her/him through the ocotillo branches.

Bad Day All Around

Rest in peace, best male heeler ever.  Our beloved Frio The first thing we did this morning was to take Frio to the vet to put him out of hi...