Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, January 30, 2020

Comical Cactus Wrens

Stink eye from a Loggerhead Shrike
Took a long hike west of Tortugas Mountain this morning half of which was spent bushwhacking through the desert.  As always I hoped to see some larger mammals and/or raptors, but no such luck.

I did see plenty of rabbits and birds; the most comical sighting of the latter involved the Cactus Wrens pictured below.  One spent much time eating seeds from spent Soaptree Yucca pods; I think I saw him spit out as many seeds as he ate.

There were no hikers where I was in the outback, but I did encounter two people just heading out as I headed in on the final leg of my morning trek.
Desert Cottontail

Torrey Yucca sentinels

Large arroyo west of the mountain

Nearly 4 foot tall Barrel Cactus

Cactus Wrens

From a small arroyo west of Tortugas

Soaptree Yucca

This and the next:  B&W experiments


This and the rest:  more comical Cactus Wrens













1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Those are amazing photos of the cactus wren on the dried yucca pods. So clear. It's funny that they spit out as many as they eat.

Bad Day All Around

Rest in peace, best male heeler ever.  Our beloved Frio The first thing we did this morning was to take Frio to the vet to put him out of hi...