Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, January 11, 2020

Cool Coyote

About a half-mile into the hike
I had a very interesting encounter with a curious Coyote in the outback this morning while I was bushwhacking west of Tortugas Mountain.  He was almost certainly hunting for breakfast when we bumped into each other; and though he seemed a bit leery of me he wasn't in a hurry to quickly depart.

Since we were fairly close to one another I started talking to him, saying I wanted to get a good photograph while I slowly moved into a better position to get a clear shot.  He moved slowly as well, undoubtedly interested in getting an unobstructed view of this peculiar human who had invaded his personal space.

After posing for a few photos he decided to mosey off, stopping every so often to monitor my position.  When I started waving goodbye to him I'm positive he was thinking, "Look at this asshat gesturing at me.  I won't even dignify that with a response."
Something "royal" about this Prickly Pear?

Loggerhead Shrike

This and the next:  Ladder-backed Woodpecker


This and the next 2:  Soaptree Yuccas and a Barrel Cactus



Someone's lurking behind the Ocotillo

Both of us jockey for a better look while I talk to him

That's better

Still not certain about me

Checking for an easy breakfast

This and the next:  checking me out from a distance


I'm positive he's more interested in something else

Giving me that hangdog look

Making certain I'm going

Anything of interest over there?

Prairie Wolf

This or the next?


1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Amazing photos of that coyote, Packrat. It blends so well into the desert background.

Bad Day All Around

Rest in peace, best male heeler ever.  Our beloved Frio The first thing we did this morning was to take Frio to the vet to put him out of hi...