Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, January 6, 2020

Damned Wind

Paralleling the west side of Tortugas Mountain
The chief difference between yesterday's outing and today's was the wind; it made the 34F temperature feel like 29F.  And it was relentless.  If it had taken a break or two during my morning trek I'm sure I'd have gone further.

Because the stiff wind was persistent I hiked over to the mountain road, followed it to Geothermal, cut through the Lineworkers grounds to the road leading to the arroyo, bushwhacked over to the road leading to the single-track and followed the single-track back into the mountain foothills.  Took the trail across Tortugas's western flank to the mountain road and then retraced my initial route in reverse.

There was only one vehicle in the Sunset Area Parking lot when I got out there this morning, and only four in the lot when I finished up.
Geothermal Road looking west

Soaptree Yuccas

Cow Tongue Prickly Pear

This and the next:  Jackrabbit in the grass


Trying to get a good photo of a raven in flight

Starting back up the mountaibn

Strawberry Hedgehog Cactus

Claret Cup Hedgehog Cactus

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Those photos of the jackrabbit in the grass made me chuckle, though I'm not sure why.

Bad Day All Around

Rest in peace, best male heeler ever.  Our beloved Frio The first thing we did this morning was to take Frio to the vet to put him out of hi...